During the beginning of the pandemic, there was little choice in variety of face masks to protect oneself from Covid-19 particles. Besides the standard light blue medical grade disposable masks, there weren’t a lot of masks displaying color or pattern to reflect your personality. According to LastObject In the UK, there are 1.6 billion single-use, non-biodegradable, face masks are being sent to landfill every month. It’s estimated 50% of people are using single-use masks daily in the UK. That’s equivalent to 26.7 million masks a day. To put this into context, we are currently using enough face masks to equal the same weight as 100 cars per day or cover the whole of London in under 2 days. Small changes in habit make a huge difference. Wear a cloth mask that you can wash, hang to dry and re-use.
Soon some creative friends and companies stitched their own masks for re-use that are very stylish and comfortable to wear. Here are 5 of my favorites face coverings for 2021:
- East End Taste founder Vanessa Gordon in New York offers handmade, stylish and colorful 100% cotton masks that are machine washable safe, and include her signature Embroidery Collection. Her masks are for adults and children. In December 2020, Vanessa donated 20% of sales to KiDS NEED MoRE a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of children and families coping with cancer and serious illness. They build a community of support and hope through peer mentoring, friendly visits, camp experiences, retreats and daily events. (Masks start at $14+).
2. The new Los Angeles-based Out + About Supply makes a clever “one-strap wonder” that uniquely fits users’ face with one adjustable strap. Place this washable and eco-friendly mask around your neck to wear throughout the day. Pull down when alone and wear almost like a necklace, then pull up, adjust the single strap behind your head, and pull up around ears when needed. The strap rests on the top of ears for a snug and comfortable fit. Another key feature of the mask is the tightly-woven cotton fabric, offering the greatest protection second only to N95 masks.
It’s a mask that can stay with you all day, so you have no worries about finding a mask quickly or placing your mask on a contaminated surface anymore. Founded by Kathryn Hampton, owner of local interior design firm K2S Studio, and Dickey DeBiase, Out + About Supply, they applied their experience and resources in new ways to help during these unprecedented times. They donated a portion of each sale toward building recreational space in underserved communities through The Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust. (Masks cost $18+).
3. Stone Clover Lane Facial Mask makes fun masks in a variety of colors and adds some beads to the tie straps to add style and pizzazz. These standard masks are made from 100% cotton which makes them breathable and washable. Adjustable straps make the mask a perfect fit for you and removable faux pearl beads (Two masks are $28).
4. Mali + Lili lightweight cotton, four-layer Mask Scarf helps you stay healthy while looking chic. The M+L Mask Scarf includes a pocket to insert a filter if desired and thin elastic earloops for comfort and security. When not covering your face, one can wear the Mask Scarf effortlessly around your neck. The M+L mask is made in Los Angeles with natural fabrics. (One mask is $40). Mali + Lili also offer a lightweight cotton three-layer Contour Mask Scarf that provides full coverage. There is a nose wire for accurate fit and a pocket for a filter if desired. The Contour Mask Scarf allows wearers to be hands-free when not wearing their mask on their face. Wear it around your neck for a cool, 2021 modern look.
5. Social Coverings makes a double layer with an overlapping opening for easy straw access to sip your favorite beverage and stay safe. College grad Jesse Weinstein (SDSU) quickly invented unique face masks during the pandemic for those who love sipping Boba, smoothies, iced coffee and other beverages while continuing to stay safe while wear a protective facial mask.The breathable plant-based fabric face covering is gentle on skin and the custom design won’t fog glasses. Order a starter pack to receive one face cover, a reusable metal logo straw made of hypoallergenic black steel, a straw brush, and an attachable printed cotton strap to keep your face cover conveniently around your neck.
Stay safe, stay healthy, wear a mask in 2021.
A similar fashionable facial mask review is featured in JUSTLUXE.