Once a year the LA Cookie Convention comes into town. This year it is Feb. 6 and Feb. 7 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
I arrived early on Saturday morning to see long lines forming of excited cookie and sweets aficionados eager to sample some of the best cookies, cakes, coffees and sweets in California. Here are 10 of my favorite people and/or baked goods that I had the opportunity to meet:
- Baking with Melissa – This effervescent woman is the Queen of In-home baking parties for kids and teens. It’s been a dream of this actress (once was a Disney Ariel), baker and entrepreneur to own her own business. She brings all the ingredients into your home, and teaches children the fundamentals of baking. Not only does she organize a variety of food games and crafts, but she helps to clean up the party at the end. www.bakingwithmelissa.com (818)445-3397.
- Albert’s Petite Sweets – This likable man is very enthusiastic about his business. Instead of going into nursing, he started his own business creating beauty and art with his hands by baking innovative cake pops. With a passion for drawing, he creates three dimensional cake pop arrangements and a miniature world of edible art. His patented gift window boxes also pop-out to make an impressive holder. For a unique birthday, Valentine’s, Easter, baby shower, wedding or corporate gift, Albert will customize gifts that offer an ooh-and-ahh factor. To learn more, go to http://gourmetcakepops.squarespace.com.
- Be sure to check out the Decorators’ Showcase Benefiting Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. You will see cake displays by some of the best pastry chefs in the world. The “Timeless Elegance” baked goods in by Veronica Mera #bakedgoodsunlimited.
- Check out the Tiger Cake by Julie P. Zambrano. She is a very talented Wilton Instructor at Michael’s – #jp_zambrano.
- What goes well with cookies? Coffee. Be sure to stop by Scotty D’s and meet Lanae and Scotty at Blue Mountain Coffee. Get a sample of Jamaican Coffee and buy a bag to take home. www.ScottyDCoffee.com (619)850-2411.
- Meet the talented self-taught cake designer Bree Miller with Brees Cakes LA – http://www.breescakes.com. Her Valentine’s Day – All You Need Is Love cake is beautiful.
- 2 Hearts B 1 Designs is an event planner in Los Angeles. This is the go-to for weddings, parties, showers and elegant events. They gift wrap, offer floral, gift tags, invitations, and party favors. Look them up at http://www.2heartsb1.com
- For all your baking needs Bakers Bodega offers fondant, whipped toppings, buttercream, candy apples, cake pops, artisan gelatin and cookie classes from beginners to advanced. http://www.bakersbodega.com
- Looking for something cold? Humboldt Creamery offered samples of their delicious organic ice cream. http://www.humboldtcreamery.com
- Meet Cupcake Wars Winner Crystal Nicole Jones. She has her Cream by Crystal business whipping up creamcakes and cheesecakes for parties and events. Learn more about this dynamic baker at http://creambycrystal.com.
- Visit the ladies in red from Sprinkles to enjoy a variety of freshly made cookies and learn about www.sprinkles.com.