Celebrating 50 years of care, Planned Parenthood celebrates with a lively Food Fare inside the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. There are three sessions on March 3, 2016 with a day session from 11 am to 2 pm, the VIP Reception for Sponsors from 5:30 to 6:15 pm and an evening session from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
The first health center opened near USC in 1965. Today men, women and teens rely on the heath care including cancer screenings and educational programs Planned Parenthood provides throughout Los Angeles and worldwide.
To raise money, they hosted this lively Food Fare, unlimited gourmet food samples showcasing over 100 of So Cal’s best chefs, restaurants and caters. The event is organized and staffed each year with over 170 women and a multitude of male and female volunteers. This year PPLA honored Blue Plate Restaurant Group – Jenny Rush for 2016 Restaurateur of the Year.
Shop at over 30 local retailers offering art, accessories, jewelry, handbags, home decor, and fashion.
There is an auction and raffle.
Here are 10 of my favorite Chefs, vendors and exhibits I visited today-
- I loved the frozen bars at Smile Frozen Goods. They offered strawberry limeade and coconut fudgsicles. Follow them at http://www.smilefrozengoods.com or on Twitter @smilefrozengoods and Instagram – tastes great@smilefrozengoods.
2. Flutterleigh is a travel and leisure clothing brand created by Lisa Summers. I met her while admiring her colorful Flutterleigh pants on display. Not only are they colorful and stylish, but flattering on women. Wear them poolside, to the beach or while on vacation exploring Hawaii, Tahiti or the Caribbean. These pants are easy to care for and comfortable to wear. Lisa lives in Los Angeles and left a career as a television network executive in 2014 to become a successful entrepreneur. Learn more about her clothing line at www.flutterleigh.com .
- I was so excited to see some of my favorite chefs in Los Angeles. Girasol was featured as my Top 10 Restaurant in LA 2015. I was excited to see Celebrity & Executive Chef CJ Jacobson (Bravo’s Top Chef) and the talented Justin Abram Chef de Cuisine at the restaurant. Located at 11334 Moorpark St. Studio City, read my review to learn more about Girasol
4. Golden Road Brewing offered tastes of their Hefe, IPA and other craft beers. Located at 5410 W. San Fernando Road (213)373-4677. To learn more about their free tours, beer garden and dining options, go to www.goldenroad.la
5. Blue Plate Restaurant Group – Blue Plate, Blue Plate Oysterette and Blue Plate Taco offered the most dishes of any restaurant at the Food fare. The owner, Jenny Pass was awarded 2016 Restaurateur of the Year at the event. Her restaurants offer a California-twist with a be achy-chic atmosphere. The lobster rolls are fresh, they even offer rolls wrapped in lettuce for those looking to cut down on their carbs. The bread of the lobster rolls are slightly buttered and divine. Pass and her team make some incredible tacos too. The beef short rib and fish tacos are the quintessential street taco. Visit her restaurants by going to http://www.blueplatesantamonica.com Blue Plate is at 1415 Montana Ave. (310)260-8877, Blue Plate Oysterette is located at 1355 Ocean Ave. (310)576-3474, Blue Plate Taco is at 1515 Ocean Ave. (310)458-2985.
6. Another favorite moment was seeing Chef de Cuisine Ian Gresik at Drago Centro. Located downtown, Gresik works with restaurateur Celestino Drago (awarded in 2014 as Chef of the Year). Read my review of why I adore the Italian fine dining dishes created by these two esteemed chefs – Ian and Celestino at Drago Centro – http://beverlypress.com/2011/06/drago-centro/.
7. Westside Tavern made the ultimate comfort food during the day session. The talented Ben Cohn cooks California Tavern Cuisine to pair with a selection of fresh cocktails. Visit the restaurant located at 10850 West Pico Blvd. (310)470-1539 – www.westsidetavernla.com.
8. Diabolo is a non-alcoholic sparkling refreshment that is all natural and offered in exotic flavors. Each beverage is made low in calorie, healthy formulation. They offered samples and cups of fresh berries to enhance the experience. To learn more, go to www.drinkdiabolo.com
9. I met Linda Bailey of Frame A Memory unique handmade magnetic frames. They give a room pizzazz and are a great way to store your photos. They make great, thoughtful gifts for family and friends. Visit – https://www.etsy.com/shop/Frameamemory1
10. Finish with a Sweet Lady Jane brownie or pastry. For over 25 years, Jane Lockhart the founder of Sweet Lady Jane Bakery, has been serving up the finest, one-of-kind pastries and desserts in Los Angeles. 1631 Montana Ave. Santa Monica (310)254-9499.
If you read this too late, follow www.pplosangles.org to see when and where the next food fare will be in LA.