Fourth of July is special in Palm Springs to watch fireworks while lounging poolside or riding the down Palm Canyon Drive with a drink in hand. Sit and dine al fresco at one of the numerous restaurants offering outdoor dining patios. Here are 10 Fun Events during Fourth of July and throughout the summer months –
1.Hop on the Sunny Cycle Palm Springs for a new type of pub crawl experience. This safe and entertaining service has partnered with local businesses for appetizers and cocktails. It’s fun as guests get a little exercise, and lots of waves from locals and tourists while cruising on Palm Canyon Drive. The 15 seat cycle is an electric, pedal powered vehicle for 10 peddlers, and 5 non-peddlers. The two Sunny Cycle team member operating the vehicle are Shannon and Jen. It’s a great way to explore local sights and enjoy fresh air and light exercise outdoors. Tours are ideal for simply cruising the city, bar-hopping, corporate events, conventions, team-building, bachelor and bachelorette parties, singles mixers, family reunions, tailgating, picnics, progressive dinners, and even wine tastings. Stopping points along each tour can be customized. To learn more, go to http://sunnycycleps.com.
2. The fun starts on Thursday June 30 with the lively Villagefest in downtown Palm Springs. Stroll among hundreds of vendors from around the desert with fashion, jewelry and art along downtown to the uptown design district. Villagefest hours are 7 to 10 p.m. www.villagefest.org. Grab a bite at Kaiser Grille or Las Casuella Terraza for margaritas and authentic Mexican cuisine.
3. On July 1 the Wet ‘n’ Wild Water Park is having a movie night with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown pool side after dusk. The park has 18 fun water rides and attractions, around the 21-acre desert oasis. Dive-in Movies at Wet ‘n’ Wild are every Friday in July. www.wetnwildpalmsprings.com.
4. There will be a Sandsational Summer at Spa Resort Casino on July 2, outside the Spa Resort Casino. Come to a beachside paradise from 1 to 6 p.m. with food vendors, bar service, a live band, kid friendly attractions, shaded spots with cool water misters, and Sandscapes sculptures. This sand art form took the sand artists three days to build. Champion sculptors from Sandscapes will be at work building a large sand sculpture outside Spa Resort Casino during the three days leading up to the Sandsational Summer event. General admission to the Sandsational Summer event on July 2 is $10; $5 for kids 12 and under. Tickets are available for purchase on the Spa Resort Casino website at www.sparesortcasino.com or in person at the Paradise Rewards Club.
5. Cool down in the pool at Palm Springs Swim Center with a fun pool party. There is music, games and a large inflatable slide from 2 p.m. to when the last firework illuminates the sky. Visitors can swim in the pool while the fireworks ignite. 405 S. Pavilion Way. Admission is $2 for children and $6 for adults. Due to the fireworks fallout zone, parking for the pool party will be located in the parking lot off Ramon Road.
6. When the sun sets, head over to Sunrise Park adjacent to the Palm Springs Stadium for a picnic dinner. Pick up some food from Whole Foods or Bristol Farms and watch a FREE firework show.
7. Fireworks & Power Baseball Game on July 4 during “All American Fourth of July” Fireworks Spectacular, Watch the Power baseball team take on Southern Nevada at 6:05 p.m. followed by patriotic fireworks at 9:15 p.m. FREE admission for the fireworks show begins at 8 p.m. Everyone is invited to bring blankets and lawn chairs and sit on the field. 1901 E. Baristo Road.
8. The AIDS Assistance Program Fourth of July fundraising event at the Historic O’Donnell house in Palm Springs offering hor d’oeuvres and a festive firework show by the City of Palm Springs. The cost to attend is $125. More information about this event is available at aidsassistance.org/events.
9. Sip sunset sangrias and hang by the pool at The Monkey Tree Hotel. It’s a boutique 16 room hotel in Palm Springs that is filled with mid-Century furniture and decor. The pool has large inflatable floats to enjoy as the sun sets. http://www.themonkeytreehotel.com.
10. Stay. Play and Enjoy Polynesian-style food at V Palm Springs. Lounge on the large pool deck and float on or swim next to large golden inflatable swans.The hotel will be taking 25% off best available rates on guest rooms with outdoor space or patios with relaxing wicker basket swings. Also V Palm Springs is offering 25% off Food & Beverage for hotel guests to experience Elixir, the poolside bar, serving innovative Polynesian-inspired fare and cocktails. This offer runs through September 22. If you book for 2 nights or more, you can stay in your bathing suit a little longer with a late checkout on request. This offer is based on availability and is non-refundable.
To learn more, go to http://vpalmsprings.com.