During Earth Week I had the opportunity to meet Katie Sheppard the Director of Marketing at Suncadia Resort. She came down from Washington State to make an Earth Day donation at TreePeople LA. Katie and a TreePeople volunteer led our group on an Earth Day activity that included weeding, mulching and watering trees in a canyon off of Mulholland Drive. TreePeople is an organization that inspires Los Angelenos to come together and volunteer planting and caring for trees, while renewing the So Cal landscape.
Katie told us that up in the storybook town of Cle Elum is the Suncadia Resort (80 miles from Seattle), they focus on conservancy efforts in their community too. Suncadia is a Pacific Northwest retreat located on the sunny side of the Cascade Mountains. This area was once a big mining region and the town of Cle Elum still holds a small town charm.
Here’s what I learned about Suncadia Resort while talking to Katie-
1. Home Away From Home – There are a variety of guest and ownership accomodations at The Lodge, The Inn, Trailhead Condominiums and luxury vacation homes set among acreage, forest and wildlife conservancy and management. Suncadia Conservancy covers 4,400 acres, with 1.3 million trees and over 180 species of birds. Wildlife includes over 40 species of mammals. The resort is protecting the migration of salmon, deer, elk and cougars.
2. Hiking – Suncadia offers the 1,000 Steps project with 21 flights of stairs connecting The Lodge to the Cle Elum River. It’s equivalent to the height of a 19-story building, and provides resort guests and homeowners convenient access to river activities along the scenic walkway. Also the resort provides a guided on-property hike for guests to learn about the history, folklore, native plants and wildlife in the area.
3. Biking – There are over 26 miles of biking trails on both paved and unpaved trails throughout Suncadia. The resort organizes bike tours into town for a libation, before biking back.
4. Dining – Suncadia Resort features a selection of 8 restaurants with views of the Cascade from Portals Restaurant, and the Golf Course from Gas Lamp Grill. Quick and casual offerings are found at The Kitchen Food Truck at the Swim and Fitness Center. In the evening 56 Degrees Lounge is a good place to sip wine or a unique cocktail.
5. Summer Fun – Starting June 24 to September 2, every Saturday the resort is hosting a Barnyard BBQ at Nelson Farm featuring farm fresh produce from Hay Creek Garden, live music, activity area, and a goodie bag for each kid.
6. Wellness – Suncadia Resort offers a wellness month that encourages movement, relaxation, and all things wellness. This philosophy lasts throughout the year at the 12 room Glade Spring Spa and Suncadia Swim & Fitness Center.
7. Golf – Suncadia offers three scenic championship golf courses on its 6,400 acre property in Washington State. The picturesque courses are among pine and fir trees with lakes and ponds. Prospector Golf Course is adjacent to the 18-room Inn at Suncadia. Families will enjoy the Rope Rider Golf Course (currently under construction) named after the coal miners who maneuver coal cars along steep slopes of mine shafts.
8. May celebrates Fitness Month – On May 19 through May 21, 2017 the resort offers wellness-themed packages that include lodging, outdoor and indoor fitness classes, spa and restaurant specials. Starting rates are $729 for two night accommodations for two in a One-bedroom Suite at the Lodge, Glade Spring Spa Facility Access, Two Sunrise Yoga Classes, Chef Demo w/ Executive Chef Clay Blake and Healthy Cooking Class, Hike w/ Picnic Lunch, Meet and Greet with KaisaFit with Small Group Fitness Class w/ KaisaFit and Breakfast at Portals. If you can’t make those dates, other fun activites planned for May include: May 6- The Cadia Clash, May 7 – Complimentary Fitness Class Yoga and Pints and Pups (National Pet Week). On the second weekend there will be a Mommy & Me Tea Party 5k on May 14 and Complimentary Fitness Class. Third weekend May 20 – Wellness weekend featuring KaisaFit (Room Package), May 21- Complimentary Fitness Class with KaisaFit. Fourth weekend May 27- Barnyard Warrior and May 28 – Complimentary Fitness Class Zumba.
Click on this link Suncadia to learn more about the resort.