Every visit to Disneyland is memorable, however during Halloween Time, it’s extra special. The spell is cast and the magic of Happy Hauntings is now at both Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure. Be on the look out for Disney characters including Goofy, Cruella de Vil, Daisy, Mickey and Minnie Mouse cloaked in frightfully delightful Halloween-themed attire.
What’s new this year is security. Check points are now in the parking tram plaza next to the parking garage to provide a comfortable, safe and enjoyable experience for all guests. Disney security inspect backpacks and purses before guests walk through a metal detector. Leave your selfie-sticks at home. They are prohibited in the Theme Parks.
Another new sight are two large cranes building Disney’s Star Wars theme park inside Disneyland.
Entering Disneyland first, Main Street U.S.A spot the giant Mickey jack-o’-lantern and pumpkin festival for your first photo opportunity. Both theme parks are decorated with cheery autumn décor, Disney characters in their costumes, seasonal Halloween overlays on select attractions, seasonal treats and more. Halloween Time officially begins in mid-September and continues through October 31. If you’re looking to beat crowds, weekdays are a great time to experience Halloween Time with yellow and orange banners hanging from the eves and lamp posts. Thousands of lovely pumpkin decorations are displayed in windows.
The park also offers delicious Halloween Time treats. Here’s 10 of my favorites:
2. Head over to New Orleans Square they are selling Mint Juleps with Dreamsicle Beignets. Order a three or six pack of piping hot beignets sprinkled in sugar. You can also purchase a Halloween Time Travel Mug to fill with your choice of beverage.
3. Nearby is Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas at the Haunted Mansion, helping guests believe Halloween truly last forever. There are 999 ethereal inhabitants that have taken over the abandoned residence in the center of New Orleans Square since August 9, 1969. Get an Oogie Boogie light green creepy, skin-crawl-y beverage holder until October 31.
4. Sip a Dole Whip Float or spoon in some of the pineapple soft serve sold at the Enchanted Tiki Room. While there go inside to see robotic birds and flowers sing and swoon for 15 minutes in a kitschy ’60s show.
After exploring Disneyland, head over to Disney California Adventure Park with your Park Hopper pass and walk under the bombastic boogeyman as he casts a shadowy eye on passersby from atop his ominous, main-gate marquee. Along Buena Vista Street, swarms of black bats are hanging around the Carthay Circle Theatre’s bell tower.
Across the way is the Headless Horseman statue.
5. Visit the Elysian Arcade inside California Adventure for a spooky fun Disney character inspired cake pop, dipped apple, crispy treat or cupcake.
Cars Land Radiator Springs turns into Radiator Screams? Take your photo at the Happy Haul-o-ween billboard before cruising down Route 66 to Fillmore’s yard filled with ghostly folk art and decorated oil cans with spooky faces and distributor cap spiders.
6. Head over to the Cozy Cone Motel food window inside a gigantic parking cone to purchase a Spoke-Y Cone Macaron filled with marshmallow buttercream and candy corn. It’s orange with a spooky face and yellow, orange and white candy corns peeking out.
7. At the Churro window, they offer pumpkin spice churros. Each food window also sells Traffic Cone Sippers to hold your favorite fountain beverage. They come in a 16 oz. and 32 oz. bright orange plastic cone sipper with a straw.
8. Popcorn has been elevated with a Halloween Time Junkyard JamBOOree mix. Guests have a choice of ordering Butter popcorn; Buffalo Ranch, Garlic, Parmesan, Sriracha, Pizza, Dill Pickle or White Cheddar. Then they can choose a selection of add-ons that include green M & M’s, Candy Corn, Chocolate covered pretzels, Boston Baked Beans and Ghost Quins (sprinkles). Speaking of popcorn, annual Passholders (AP) benefits during the the month of September include receiving unlimited popcorn bucket refills until October 31, 2017 if they obtain an AP refillable popcorn bucket between 9/1 to 9/30.
9. Walk into Ghirardelli in the Pacific Wharf area and received a complimentary Ghirardelli chocolate square made with milk chocolate pumpkin spice caramel. It’s delicious.
10. At Paradise Pier Ice Cream Company they are offering Orange and Vanilla Swirl Soft Serve in regular and large sizes. Even though the Mickey Mouse pretzel is not decorated for Halloween, it’s a fun treat while exploring Hollywood Land or before seeing the new musical Frozen-Live at the Hyperion.
Mickey’s Halloween Party. Each year it normally begins the last weekend in September, with a select number of nights designated. This is a separate ticketed event that includes nighttime admission to Disneyland Park with access to the rides, exclusive entertainment and trick-or-treating. If you have a Park Hopper, you can head over to Disney California Adventure Park which has longer hours on party nights.
Once Halloween Time is over, get ready to enjoy the magic of Christmastime at Disneyland and California Adventure. Historically, the official holiday season begins in mid-November and continues through the first week in January of the next year. Take a family photo next to the enormous Christmas trees, revel in the holiday decorations, do some holiday shopping, listen to the festive holiday entertainment and indulge in some of the seasonal treats.