7 Fun Pi Day Facts & Specials on Delicious Pies
Each year on March 14 in National Pi Day. Here are some fun facts and some great spots offering pie deals.
- Pi Day is celebrated each year on March 14, to commemorate the irrational number of 3.141592653.
- Marie Callender’s is offering a free slice of pie today, March 14 in honor of Pi Day. Download the coupon the Marie Callender’s website, and choose from over 20 different varieties of their famous, freshly baked pies. Marie Callender’s is also baking a Celebration Cake Pie, brought back by popular demand, available now through March 31st. http://wwwmariecallenders.com
- March 14 is also Einstein’s birthday. He was born in Germany in 1879.
- Celebrate your love for the mathematical constant π and/or pies at Winston Pies on Tuesday, March 14, with a flaky, buttery circular hand pie for just $3.14 Available all day while supplies last, they come in a variety of flavors, including Harvest Apple, Blue Ridge Blueberry, Dixie Classic Cherry and Chocolate Cowgirl. Winston Pies will have a Golden Ticket tucked away into the packaging for one pie, any shape or size, sold that day. The lucky winner gets one free mini pie, so don’t forget to look inside the wrapping before you toss it. 11678 San Vicente Blvd. Check out their website http://www.winstonpies.com. Photo credit Winston Pies.
- In 2009 the US government recognized March 14 as National Pi Day
Pi, or π, is defined as the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It’s an irrational number, meaning it cannot be written as a simple fraction.
- The first organized Pi Day was in 1988 at the San Francisco Exploratorium. Physicist Larry Shaw had the idea to celebrate the day and then eating some pies.
- Pi Day, March 14 at Blaze Pizza, the LeBron James-backed fast casual pizza concept which has more than 240 restaurants across the country, celebrates by offering $3.14 whole pizzas all day across it’s multiple Southern California locations on March 14, including Irvine, Los Angeles, Rancho Cucamonga, Pasadena, Torrance, Santa Ana, Brea, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, and Newport Beach Click here to see locations.