Celebrating Cinco de Mayo in LA
Here are 7 fun spots to celebrate Cinco de Mayo around Los Angeles:
- Jalapeno Pete’s – They make a really good house margarita with Maestro Dobel Tequila, lime agave and Damiana Liqueur. Formerly Cocina Condesa, this Studio City hot spot along Ventura Blvd serves Mexican Munchies (guacamole, jalapeno poppers & ceviche), Terrific Tacos (Butternut Squash, Asada & fried avocado) and Antojitos (short ribs braised in red wine taquitos & chicken flautas). There are 15 televisions throughout and fun games (Backgammon, JENGA and Connect 4) on the tables to play. 11618 Ventura Blvd. Studio City – (818)579-4264 – https://www.jalapenopetesla.com
- Antonio’s Mexican Restaurant on Melrose – Mariachis will perform, while the tequila girls entertain guests starting at 7 a.m. The special menu on May 5 includes traditional fare such as tacos, beef tamales, and chicken mole to enjoy with cervezas and margaritas, as well as specialty drinks and cocktails. includes beef tamales and tacos de carne asada. Antonio will be pouring from his own label a variety of tequilas. 7470 Melrose Ave. (323)658-9060 – antoniosonmelrose.com.
- Tallula’s first Cinco de Mayo – Hang out at the beach and then walk across to Tallula’s at 2 p.m. to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with blood orange margaritas and palomas. Snacks include organic chicken wings, nachos sencillo and a special Cinco de Mayo XL taco. On Wednesday, May 9, enjoy the restaurant’s one-year anniversary with a mariachi band during dinner, as well as with some fun food and drink specials. 118 Entrada Drive, Santa Monica, (310)526-0027.
- Cinco De Mayo pub crawl in Hollywood – From 11 a.m. to midnight, grab your friends and celebrate Cinco de Mayo with drink specials at various bars around Hollywood Boulevard. Check in before 4 p.m. at the Rusty Mullet to receive a free welcome shot, wristband and map of the participating venues. The first 100 people to check in will receive a small Cinco de Mayo-themed gift. Other bars participating include Wood & Vine, Station 1640, Calle Tacos and Jameson’s. Visit laepiclosangeles.com/parties. 1708 N. Las Palmas Ave. Los Angeles, (323)533-0765.
- Party at El Torito – Enjoy a taco station in the cantina starting at 2 p.m. There are specials on margaritas, shots and beer. This year El Torito offers the “Mariachi Me,” a website where Cinco de Mayo fans can make a custom music video to share with friends and family. This digital platform gives people the opportunity to turn themselves into the most entertaining mariachi band on the internet. Visit mariachime.eltorito.com. 3360 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, (310)450-8665. 13715 Fiji Way, Marina Del Rey, (310)823-8941. 14433 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, (818)990-5860.
- Cinco de Mayo at Chevys – Celebrate one of the biggest parties on May 5 with special margaritas featuring 1800 Tequila Reposado. There are beer and shot specials too, all while enjoying fresh Mexican fare. 701 N. San Fernando Blvd., Burbank, (818)846-6999.
- Cinco de Mayo at Casa Vega – In the evening of Cinco de Mayo, enjoy music from a live mariachi band and festive Mexican décor at Casa Vega. Drink specials throughout the day and night include $7 Casa Vega margaritas. The restaurant will also be serving a Pink Señorita cocktail for one day only, made with Patron Silver, fresh grapefruit juice, cranberry juice and garnished with fresh mint. 13301 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, (818)788-4868.