I was invited to the preview of this year’s culinary and beverage program led by James Beard Award winning Chef Suzanne Goin and this year’s James Beard Foundation Outstanding Restaurateur of the Year, Caroline Styne.
I learned that the Hollywood Bowl is one of the largest natural amphitheaters in the world, with a seating capacity of nearly 18,000. It’s been the summer home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic since its official opening in 1922.
During the summer the venue plays host to the finest artists from all genres of music, offering something for everyone.
Music and Artistic Director Gustavo Dudamel announced that the opening night of the summer program is on June 16 with Diana Ross Sings Memories with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra.
Seating at the BOWL is still one of the best deals anywhere in Los Angeles with $1 seats at the top of the Bowl for many classical and jazz performances.
The Hollywood Bowl Food + Wine’s many dining choices include two sit-down restaurants, street-food kiosks, pre-ordered picnic boxes, and full-service dinner delivered to your box seat. For private events, Hollywood Bowl Food + Wine will also provide catering at several locations for groups both large and small.
The dynamic culinary team including Sodexo Sports & Leisure Executive Chef Jeff Rogers promises an array of exceptional dining experiences for the 2018 Hollywood Bowl Food + Wine season.
Here’s what’s new for this summer season:
- This year concert-goers can skip the line before the concert and use the Hollywood Bowl Food + Wine mobile app. Guests may select a choice of pizzas, barbecue, bánh mi, hot dogs, and popcorn. Skip the long line and pick up your picnic fare on the way to your seats.
- My favorite Supper in Your Seats is a three course dinner delivered right to your box seats. Chef Suzanne Goin’s new menu item is Susanita’s Carnitas Feast for Two. It features ceviche de mariscos; sweet corn tostadas; patio salad of cucumber, tomato & romaine; pork carnitas; Javi’s guacamole; black beans; tomato rice; pico de gallo; and tres leches cake with mango, coconut and lime. Supper in Your Seats is available by pre-order online up to 4 pm the day before a performance.
- For the ultimate dining experience Lucques at the Circle is a full-service dining experience for subscribers of the Pool Circle. The seasonal made-to-order menu is paired with an exceptional wine list styled from the award-winning cuisine of Lucques. Menu Highlight: Tunisian grilled halibut with couscous, summer squash, harissa, and pistachio yogurt.
- There are now 5 Picnic Boxes including a new Maple Drive box. It features a slow-roasted prime beef tenderloin served with Early Girl tomato salad, roasted potatoes, wild mushrooms and a caramel chocolate brownie. Picnic boxes can be pre-ordered a day before a concert and picked up at the Plaza Marketplace or delivered to your box seats.
- The Wine Bar by a.o.c – Boasting a wine list curated especially by Caroline Styne, L.A.’s favorite wine bar comes to life at the Hollywood Bowl and features artisanal cheese and charcuterie, signature vintner’s and farmer’s plates, grilled flatbreads, market-fresh salads, and a.o.c.-style fish and meats. There are also craft brews and farmers’ market-driven cocktails made with soju and other wine-based liquors. Menu Highlight: Lamb skewers with fava bean purée and tomato-preserved lemon salsa.
- For a grab-and-go option there are three Marketplace locations – Plaza, East and West. Here concert attendees can “grab-and-go” salads, hot entrées that include rotisserie chicken, barbecued beef brisket and mac ’n’ cheese, as well as other picnic-friendly sandwiches and cheese plates. The west side Marketplace features a sushi bar where chefs prepare premium sushi, available for pre-order or to purchase on-site. Showcasing the best of Goin and Styne’s casual Larder café-marketplace, these Hollywood Bowl venues also feature a large selection of hand-picked wines, craft beers, sodas and waters, as well as salty and sweet snacks including cookies and brownies, candy, nuts and crackers. Menu Highlight: A new sandwich and a summer favorite of Suzanne’s daughter – Alex’s Veggie sandwich – goat cheese, farmers’ vegetable slaw, and basil pistou.
- Winemaker Wednesdays series is an eight-week program of complimentary wine tastings at the Plaza Marketplace from guest winemakers hand selected by Caroline Styne.
- the backyard is an al fresco dining room flanked by two large wood-burning grills, offering an updated seasonal market-driven menu. Select one of the summer salads, grilled fresh fish, scallops, lamb merguez, pork chops, steaks, side dishes and an extensive raw bar. Menu Highlight: Diver scallops with cornbread panade, wild mushrooms and gremolata.
- Kitchen 22 Grills up made-to-order beef and turkey burgers, Suzanne’s Spanish fried chicken, grilled Comté cheese on Larder sourdough, and savory sandwiches anchor the Hollywood Bowl’s tribute to American classic fare. Menu Highlight: The new falafel wrap with house-made carrot-jalapeno slaw, green onion zhoug, and tahini dressing.
- Street Food and Snacks – Authentic street foods can be found throughout the grounds of the Hollywood Bowl, including a diverse range of multi-cultural foods of Los Angeles, from street tacos, gourmet pizzas, specialty hot dogs, BBQ, bánh mì, sandwiches, and nachos, to confections and signature desserts at the Sweet Shop.
Visit hollywoodbowl.com/foodandwine for more information about the food and wine experiences available at the Hollywood Bowl.