Walking along Hillhurst in Los Feliz, I stopped in front of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams and noticed a patriotic sign in the window. It was three scoops of red, white and blue ice cream. Below the cone are the words “Flavor Is Everyone.” Someone decided to paint in red underneath this sign “Kindness Is Magic.”
Few things rival the joy of eating an ice cream cone on a hot summer day, it’s a magical experience. Founder and creative ice cream maker Jeni Britton Bauer believes that eating ice cream from a cone is not only the most fun but the absolute best way to taste ice cream. She writes “ A scoop starts out hard and relaxes a little with each sweep of your tongue, releasing flavor as you go. If you pay attention, you will find layers you never knew existed.”
In each of her scoop shops, Jeni introduced her brand new, made-in-house daily, Buttercrisp Waffle Cone in June 2018. The crispy cone offers prominent notes of real butter and vanilla with a hint of salt that goes great with ice cream. It’s similar to how a salty crust enhances the sweet filling inside a pie.
The scoop shop staff are happy to offer you multiple tastes. I had 7 different tastes before making my decision – Rose’ sorbet and wildberry lavender on Jeni’s new cone.
Here are the 7 Jeni’s flavors that I tasted and loved-
- Watermelon Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Dairy free Dark Chocolate Truffle
- Savannah Buttermilk – minty salty butter with white chocolate flecks
- Wildberry Lavender
- Supermoon – Blue violet and vanilla marshmallow swirled together
- Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Flecks
- Frose’ sorbet – tastes just like a cool glass of rose’.
The Scoop Shops also sell Jeni’s books and cute metal containers filled with sprinkles, bottles of classic seltzer, ice cream scoops, and a refrigerator filled with pints to take home.
This summer Jeni is launching a few scoop-shop only flavors including:
July 5: Peach Buttermilk Tart and Dairy-Free Salty Caramel
August 2: Sweet Corn & Blackberries and Almond Milk Cortado
Southern California has 4 Jeni’s Scoop Shops
1. Los Feliz – 1954 Hillhurst Ave. Los Angeles, California 90027 (323) 928-2668.
2. Larchmont Village – 123 N Larchmont Blvd. LA, CA 90004 (323) 745-0407
3. Venice – 540 Rose Ave. LA, CA 90291 (310) 314-2024
4. Calabasas – 4751 Commons Way, Suite A, Calabasas, CA (818) 912-6490