When I learned Princess Cruises collaborated with actor, television personality and master mixologist Rob Floyd, to elevate the ships cocktail and beverage menus, I was so happy for this union.
I’ve cruised on four Princess Cruises ships and have always enjoyed unpacking once while visiting multiple ports in Mexico, Alaska and the Caribbean. It’s one of the best ways to see and experience the world.
I met the handsome Rob Floyd, founder of Cocktail Theatre, four years ago in Santa Monica at the Sonoma Wine Garden (Here’s my review of Rob Floyd). He always delivers a unique performance mixing live entertainment and a winning smile with an unforgettable cocktail experience.
Both Floyd and the Princess team have created destination-specific cocktails made from ingredients from every corner of the world. In addition to the new elevated cocktails, the cruise line has added 20 new high-end and exotic spirits, 39 new wines by the glass (starting Fall 2018), and 17 new international and craft beers to the new bar and dining room menu.
“We are so excited to be partnering with notable industry leaders like Rob Floyd on globally inspired cocktails,” Mario Siebaldi, senior vice president of guests operations for Princess Cruises told me at a cocktail and bar bites preview featuring Rob Floyd at Electric Owl on Sunset Blvd.
While watching Floyd make a cocktail named Ver-Jus, we learned its made with St. George “Terroir” gin, St-Germain, muddled green grapes, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
Siebaldi pointed out the new signature glasses that guests can order with these cocktails. “Our aim is to provide guests the best cruise vacation experience at sea.” After sipping the drink, guests have an artistic souvenir to bring home. “We also have created new shareable drink recipes, so our guests can recreate their favorite memories once back at home,” said Siebaldi.
This portfolio of new drinks for Princess Cruises allows guests to have fun exploring the different offerings at the various bars on board.
“I was truly inspired by ingredients from all the amazing destinations that Princess Cruises sails” said Rob Floyd. “Guests will be able to enjoy a wide selection of fully realized drinks that combine what I refer to as the Three T’s: taste, technique, and tale.”
Floyd believes spectacular drinks combine the best of “The Three T’s.” First is “Taste,” as interesting ingredient combinations produce delicious flavors. The second element is “Technique,” refering to the skill and craft that goes into creating each drink. Last is “Tale;” a creative and fascinating inspiration behind each unique cocktail.
Whether traveling to Mexico, Italy or the South Pacific, these globally designed cocktails by Rob Floyd are fun and flavorful.
Here’s 10 New Cocktails on the Princess Cruise Line Ships:
- Mayan Heat: Patrón Silver tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, agave syrup, muddled jalapeño
- Italian Sunset: Aperol, Bombay Sapphire gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, Angostura bitters
- Ver-Jus: St. George “Terroir” gin, St-Germain, muddled green grapes, lemon juice, simple syrup
- Mint Divine: Bombay Sapphire gin, ginger beer, cucumber, lime juice, simple syrup, fresh mint
- Amaretto Manhattan: Bulleit Bourbon, Disaronno, sweet vermouth, Angostura orange bitters
- Princess Punch: Absolut Elyx vodka, St. George raspberry liqueur, fresh lime, simple syrup, Gosling’s ginger beer
- East Side Punch: Absolut Elyx vodka, fresh mint, cucumber, lime juice, simple syrup, club soda
- A Trip to the Tropics: Absolut Elyx vodka, apricot liqueur, orange juice, pineapple juice, pomegranate juice
- Ivory Coast: Grey Goose vodka, Amarula African liqueur, Kahlúa, chocolate shavings
- The Egyptian Zombie: Bacardi Superior rum, Gosling’s Dark rum, blackberry brandy, sweet and sour, orange juice, pineapple juice, grenadine
For those who can’t drink alcohol, Princess Cruises and Rob Floyd have created “zero-proof cocktails.” They have all of Floyd’s “3-T’s” and are light, fruity and refreshing in taste and flavor. The two most popular non-alcohol drinks include:
- Zero Mojito: Fresh mint, lime, simple syrup, Sprite
- Strawberries on Fire: Fresh strawberries, lime juice, agave syrup, jalapeño, soda
Princess Cruises is working with Doug Frost, one of only four people in the world to hold both the prestigious ranks of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine to refresh the wine menus.
Before leaving I learned Princess Cruises is offering a summer thirst-quenching deal with the Sip and Sail promotion. Guests who book a balcony, mini-suite and suite bookings will receive complimentary beverages. More information about the Sip and Sail offer is available at Princess Cruise Deals All prices are per person based on double occupancy. The Sip and Sail cruise deal runs through September 5, 2018 and is available to residents of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Bermuda who are 21 years of age or older.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS or by visiting the company’s website at princess.com.