Celebrate California Restaurant Month in Southern California by dining at one or more of Santa Monica’s award-winning, health-conscious culinary destinations. The chefs are crafting delicious and healthy custom dishes centered around the persimmon. Now through Jan. 13 nearly 30 Santa Monica restaurants are participating in Santa Monica Restaurant Week.
Persimmon is a versatile fruit that contains key minerals and fiber, which promote heart health, reduce inflammation, support healthy vision and keep the digestive system healthy.
Last Wednesday my daughter and I were invited to the Santa Monica Farmers Market. Colorful persimmons were on display. Laura Ramirez of JJ’s Lone Daughter Ranch is one of the many farmers who grow and sell the fruit. At Caffé Bella they are making a Persimmon Sorbetto using JJ Lone’s Persimmons. It’s Vegan, dairy-free and only 90 calories per scoop.
Here’s where to find persimmons and other Farmers Market produce in Santa Monica:
- Diners at Water Grill can order farmed New Zealand King salmon crudo with persimmon confit and crème fraiche.
- The Independence Tavern is offering persimmon toast and a Fuyu persimmon salad filled with radicchio, shaved fennel, Tuscan kale, feta cheese, pomegranate, toasted pistachios and a citrus-cardamom vinaigrette during Santa Monica Restaurant Week.
- Azulé Taqueria is making Roasted Acorn Squash and Pickled Persimmons Taco filled with epazote, requeson cheese (ricotta) and spicy almonds.
- Bondi Harvest is making a Persimmon Pomegranate Salad.
- Dolcenero Gelato Persimmon Sorbet and Vanilla Sauce – it’s a new creation combines the pulpy and sweet taste of persimmon with a warm hint of vanilla.
- El Cholo Santa Monica – Chipotle Glazed Carnitas Tacos with Persimmon Salsa. Three slow roasted pork tacos in a handmade corn tortilla topped with persimmon salsa, served with black beans and cilantro rice.
- Élephante – ‘Nduja toast with stracciatella and persimmons.
- Esters Wine Shop & Bar – Arugula Salad with persimmons, walnuts, manchego and champagne vinaigrette; Available during lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.
- FIG Restaurant at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows – Orange Salad with Delicata squash, thumbelina carrots, red kuri squash, chocolate persimmons and walnut vinaigrette.
10. Funnel Cakes on the Pier – Persimmon Pacific Park funnel cake topped with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and drizzled with sweetened persimmon compote.
11. Inotheke – Persimmon and Goat Cheese Salad with lemon, dill, arugula and red onion.
12. Kye’s – Persimmon Cucumber Salad with fresh mint and lime dressing.
13. Lunetta – Caramelized Pork Chop with fresh persimmon chutney, wild rice and smoked bacon and persimmon sauce; Available for dinner
14. Malbec Argentinean Cuisine- Persimmon Salad with Pomegranate and Walnuts.
15. Massilia –Crunchy Kale and Persimmon Salad with shaved fennel, toasted sunflower seeds, Comté and Jerez vinaigrette (add chicken $4, hard-boiled egg $2, ahi tuna $5, smoked salmon $5, ratatouille $5, shrimp $6, grilled salmon $6, rotisserie lamb $6).
16. Meat On Ocean –Duck Rilettes with Persimmon Marmalade and Goat Cheese
17. Obicà Santa Monica –Gelato Castagna e Cachi ia a chestnut ice cream with Brandy-spiked persimmon sauce and Amaretto dust.
18. Red O –Salmon and Persimmon Aguachile served with winter citrus, habanero and nori
19. Seaside on The Pier – Roasted Persimmon Pizza; Grilled Salmon with Persimmon; Persimmelon Margarita- The house-made pizza crust with garlic, olive oil, roasted persimmon, prosciutto, shaved parmesan and arugula with a balsamic drizzle; Grilled salmon with persimmon glaze, grilled persimmon and green beans, persimmon and cilantro garlic rice; Tequila, persimmon, watermelon, lime, agave and passion fruit
Pizza; Salmon; Persimmelon Margarita.
20. Stella Barra Pizzeria –Persimmon Pizza with Taleggio cheese, hobbs bacon, fresno chili and herbs.
21. STRFSH – Mahi Mahi with Persimmon Chutney arugula and pickled radishes.
22. Sushi Roku – Sashimi Sushisu Vinaigrette Salad with Cucumber, mizuna, micro shiso, red onions, daikon, persimmons and pomegranate seeds.
23. The Curious Palate – Persimmon Upside Down Cake
24. The Penthouse at Huntley Santa Monica Beach –Burrata – Persimmons, pine nuts, pomegranate, basil, 30-year aged balsamic and heirloom tomato.
25. The Veranda Restaurant at The Georgian Hotel – Persimmon Mozzarella di Bufalla Salad is a Persimmon gremolata, buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto, pomegranate seeds, pomegranate gastrique, arugula, basil.
26. Tiato – Fall Persimmon Salad with roasted Brussels sprouts, baby wild arugula, red cabbage, pomegranates, grapes, balsamic glaze and red onions (add chicken $3; add shrimp $5).
27. True Food Kitchen
Persimmon Toast with almond ricotta, spinach and balsamic vinaigrette.
28. Upper West – Roasted Persimmon Tartine made with Burrata, arugula, lemon, hazelnut, reduced cider vinegar with fennel.
Share a photo of the dish on social media using #SMRestaurantWeek for a chance to win a $500 gift certificate.