The majority of Americans, around 86% – anticipate a different summer compared to last year in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the latest Frito-Lay Snack Index:
- 1 in 3 (34%) consumers are expecting to do more virtual hangouts with friends this summer.
- 85 % of respondents say eating their favorite snack makes them feel normal.
- 83 % said their favorite summer snacks remind them of good times
- Nearly half (48 percent) said eating their favorite snack makes them feel happy.
Lay’s created a new line of potato chips inspired by iconic restaurant dishes to bring comfort and happiness to their fans #StayingSaferAtHome.
Lay’s also enacted a $25,000 Gratitude Fund for each of the Flavor Icons restaurants to put towards the various relief efforts that will help them recover from the impact of the pandemic.
El Torito is one of the beloved American restaurants whose iconic menu items have been recreated as part of Lay’s Flavor Icons. El Torito’s famed Carnitas Street Tacos are now available in a Lay’s Wavy potato chip until Sept. 10, 2020.
When Larry Cano opened the first El Torito in 1954 in Los Angeles, his restaurant popularized frozen margarita, tableside guacamole, and sizzling fajita platters.
Other Flavor Icon chips that offer a taste of America’s beloved cuisine without having to leave your hometown include:
- Lay’s Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza, inspired by Grimaldi’s Pizzeria in New York City (8-ounce bag $3.49; 2.5-ounce bag $1.89). It offers a barbecue chicken pizza flavor at first bite, yet finishes with a taste of tomato sauce.
- Lay’s Nashville Hot Chicken, is SPICY and inspired by Party Fowl in Nashville, Tenn.
- Lay’s Philly Cheesesteak, inspired by Geno’s Steaks in Philadelphia (7.75-ounce bag $3.79; 2.625-ounce bag $1.89).
Lay’s fans have a chance to win some cash of their own. Simply visit www.LaysFlavorIcons.com and enter the code from any marked bag (including other favorite Lay’s flavors) now through September 10 for a chance to win $1,000.