The countdown to the New Year is on! For those who prefer to celebrate casually with a Beer Toast at the start of 2016, here are 10 places to get a great craft beer as the final beverage in 2015. Or the first libation in 2016…
1.Yard House – Enjoy a grilled burgers, gourmet salads, street tacos, prime steaks and seafood as your last meal in 2015. Yard House is also offering a special holiday menu and seasonal cocktails as well as its Anniversary Rogue Spruce Tip IPA, which is available through January or while supplies last. Each guest 21 and older can participate in the midnight beer toast to celebrate the arrival of 2016. For more information, visit yardhouse.com or follow on Facebook at facebook.com/yardhouse or on Twitter @yardhouse.
2. Abigaile’s makes house-brewed craft beers and serves them on tap. Sit in the large bar among brite beer tanks for a 2015 beer tasting. Here are 5 to taste –
-Try their Illuminati Pils – ABV: 4.8% IBU: 38. Inspired by traditional Czech and Bohemian pilsners, this hoppy lager has hints of grass, biscuity maltiness and spicy floral hops.
-The Vienna Lager-Batch #1 – ABV: 5.7% IBU: 23. Toasted Buckwheat spices this Amber Lager. Nice malt aromas and clean caramel flavors meld.
-The Singularity – ABV: 7.5% IBU: 27 is an Imperial smoked Brown Porter made with German beechwood and oak-smoked malts. Interesting layers of malt, caramel, and smoke swirl.
-Drop it like it’s Hops IPA – ABV: 6.3% IBU: 65 featuring new-world hops Equinox and Mosaic, along with familiar favorites Citra, Columbus, and Amarillo. Piney, resinous, and tropical.
-Equinox Fresh Hop Pale Ale – ABV: 5.9% IBU: 28 Brewed as a classic Pacific Northwest Pale Ale using freshly-harvested still-wet Equinox hops shipped overnight from the farmer just hours after harvest. Balanced and slightly malty with a dry finish of lemon-lime and tropical fruit from the hops. 1301 Manhattan Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 (310) 798-8227
3. Día de Campo in Hermosa Beach offers great craft beers. Drink one with their four course NYE dinner. The special menu is $55 per person. It includes Grilled Romaine with avocado, Cotija, olives, corn salsa, egg, harissa buttermilk creme; Chocolate Duck Quesadillas with Oaxacan cheese, salsa negra, tamarind; Plancha Pork Belly with smoked yogurt, roasted beets, nopal, crispy okra, chicharrón and Churros with raspberries, lime sugar, spiced chocolate sauce. Guests have the option to add a supplemental seafood platter for $15 per person. 1238 Hermosa Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 (310) 379-1829 http://diadecampohb.com/
4. Rock & Brews offers an extensive rotating tap list featuring the “latest and greatest” in craft brews. There are malty & dark, Hoppy, Wheat & Belgian, Lagers & Pale Ale’s. On New Year’s Day celebrate 2016 with Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Gene Simmons, KISS front man and co-founding partner of Rock & Brews restaurants. Simmons is hosting a New Year’s Day celebration party on January 1 from 7 to 9 p.m. Select a winning “naughty and nice” resolutions for prizes, and take photos with Simmons. The winner of the most rockin’ resolution will receive a $100 gift card, and three runners-up will receive Rock & Brews t-shirts. 143 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 -(310) 615-9890 http://www.rockandbrews.com/location/el-segundo/
5. HACHÉ LA is counting down 2015 with a Spiced Chocolate Chip ‘N’ Fig Bear Republic Stout Float created by mixologist Michael “Mick” Schepers. This boozy milkshake is an indulgence of velvety Bear Republic Black Stout poured over creamy spiced chocolate chip and fig frozen custard! Make this your last sweet treat for 2015. HACHÉ LA will be open on New Year’s Eve, from 11:30 am to 10:00 pm and New Year’s Day, Friday, January 1st from 11:30 am to 12:00 Midnight; 3319 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90026; 323.928.2963; www.hachela.com
6. SPARE TIRE KITCHEN & TAVERN is serving a Kickass-Sassafras created by Executive Chef Isaias Peña. It’s a decadent version of a root beer float. This spiked classic is mixed up with homemade vanilla ice cream and a bottle of Not Your Father’s Root Beer Ale Brewed with spices, with the option of adding an extra shot of Uncle Bob’s Root Beer Whiskey for just $5.00 more, to kick-start your New Year’s Eve celebration.
On New Years Day enjoy Peña’s Bloody Mary Snacks with a signature house Bloody Mary shaken up with fresh, homemade Bloody Mary mix and a garnish of an entire meal. He is preparing a signature house Bloody Mary garnished with a beef mini-cheeseburger topped with onion rings and pickles; a signature house Bloody Mary garnished with two mini waffles and fried chicken; two shrimp and a grilled hanger steak and a bacon-and-smoked cheddar sourdough sandwich cut into four pieces.
Spare Tire Kitchen & Tavern will be open on New Year’s Eve, Thursday December 31st from 11:30 am to 2:00 am and for New Year’s Day, Friday, January 1st for Brunch from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm and for Dinner from 4:00 pm to 2:00 am; 5370 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036; 323.525.2618; www.sparetirepub.com