Right in the heart of Los Angeles is the San Antonio Winery offering locals and visitors FREE tastes of their award-winning favorite wines that include wonderful whites, robust reds, Champagnes, semi-sweet and sweet wines.
Afterwards, take a tour of the winery to learn about how wine was originally made by the Franciscan Fathers of the early Spanish Missions. Later in the 1830s discover who brought European vines from Bordeaux to downtown LA. Los Angeles soon became the premier grape growing and winemaking region in California.
Santo Cambianica founded San Antonio winery almost 100 years ago. It is still a family run and owned winery. Tour hours are Monday – Friday: 12pm to 4pm, on the hour. During the weekend the tour starts at 11am to 5pm, on the hour. Reservations required for groups of 8 or more. Parties of 21 or more must call for a reservation.
When hungry, inside the winery is a trattoria-style Maddalena Restaurant. It offers a variety of healthy and hearty Italian and American dishes. Choose from fresh pastas, grilled meats, gourmet salads and sandwiches, and delectable desserts. Tables are among redwood casks in a wine county environment.
There is also a wine, cheese and gift shop for guests to purchase items for a picnic or gifts for family and friends.
Once a month the winery offers a wine tasting class. For a fee guests can participate on Sunday – October 9, 2016 from 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Guests get to taste domestic and international cheeses paired with wines from San Antonio Winery and wines from around the world. Learn how to create your own wine and cheese event at home. Register ONLINE. Here is a sample of what guests will receive –
- Manchego Quesadilla with green olive tapenade and chili onion tortillas
- Tea Time at Downton Abbey – English cheddar melted on open-faced sourdough bread with Dijon mustard
- Ball Park – Smoked andouille sausage, Havarti cheese, and dill mustard on a hot dog bun
- Peaches and Cream – Sweet potato tortilla chips with mascarpone cheese smothered in a smoky peach salsa
- PBCJ – Peanut butter strawberry preserves and Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese on open-faced white bread
- Blue Cheese Apricot Scone – Castillo Danish blue cheese and apricot preserves on an open-faced biscuit
- Tomato Tuna Goat Cheese Bite – Fresh open-faced tomato topped with a tuna goat cheese salad
- Lemon Cheesecake – Canadian extra-sharp cheddar topped with lemon curd on a graham cracker
- Buffalo Chicken Hot Wing – Cambenzola blue cheese spread on celery and underwood chicken spread with Frank’s RedHot sauce
- Nutella Delight – Nutella spread accompanied with cream cheese and fresh berries on lavash bread.
Click on San Antonio Winery to make a reservation or learn more. 737 Lamar St, Los Angeles, CA 90031 (323)223-1401.