For those who want to help the hard working first responders and healthcare workers who are working long hours on the frontline in hospitals, here is a list of chefs, restaurants and corporations who are lovingly offering nourishment to show that we all care:
1. PBJ.LA in the Grand Central Market is honored to partner with Grammy Award winning superstar musician Billie Eilish and her mother Maggie Baird for their SUPPORT + FEED campaign to help provide healthcare workers with healthy, plant-based meals during such a difficult time. 100% of donations will be used to prepare food for the SUPPORT + FEED campaign. Other Partnering Restaurants include Donut Friend, Hinterhof, Cena Vegan, by CHLOE, SAGE Bistro, Pura Vita, CROSSROADS, KRIMSEY’S, and Sun Cafe.
2. SocialEats is helping city’s frontline workers by providing a FREE takeout meal from Azule Taqueria and Pop!s Burgers & Shakes when customers show their hospital ID. We are also providing FREE DELIVERY to hospitals within Santa Monica and 50% off through ORDERSOCIALEATS.COM. Use promo code: INTHISTOGETHER to redeem the 50% off! (Order minimum $10 for delivery). Frontline workers receive: Free Taco Bowl from Azulé Taqueria that includes rice, beans, sautéed onions and poblano peppers, house tomatillo salsa. They also receive free single burger + fries from Pop’s Burgers & Shakes. It’s made with Creekstone Farms Beef or Impossible burger dusted with Pop’s seasoning, red wine and grass-fed butter sauce. Topped with secret sauce, pickles, caramelized onions, and American cheese.
3. “One More Helping” gift card campaign: an effort to save not only their struggling industry, but others in need. Participating restaurants will donate $1 of every gift card purchase to another vulnerable business community or worthy nonprofit, creating a “pay it forward” system that they hope will further incentivize consumers seeking to help in this challenging economic landscape. Visit www.onemorehelping.com to view participating restaurants, their cause of choice, and details on how to purchase gift cards. Share about the campaign using the hashtag #onemorehelping. Gift cards in support of the One More Helping initiative will be available through May 31, 2020. Here is a list of early adopters:
- Chef Daniel Patterson and the team at Alta Adams – donating to The Cooking Project
- Chef Kris Tominaga at Manuela – donating to Restaurant Opportunities Center United
- Chef Michael Reed of Poppy + Rose – donating to No Kid Hungry
- Chef Ray Garcia of Broken Spanish – donating to Heart of Los Angeles
- Chefs Brooke Williamson and Nick Roberts of Playa Provisions – donating to No Kid Hungry
- Owner Francesco Zimone at L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele – donating to A Place Called Home
- Owners Daniel & Angie Kim of Interstellar – donating to One Fair Wage Emergency Fund
- The team at Auburn – donating to Alexandria House
- The team at Bone Kettle – donating to Union Station Homeless Services
- The team at Bowlila – donating to Meals on Wheels
- The team at Destroyer – donating to Share Our Strengt
4. Urth Caffé Beverly Hillswill raise funds for its “Feed Our First Responders” lunch box program for the city’s police officers, firefighters, paramedics starting April 13-19. “Our neighbors can donate any dollar amount and Urth Caffé will match every dollar to provide individual Urth lunch box meals to as many police officers, firefighters and paramedics as possible,” said Shallom Berkman, Urth Caffé co-founder and co-owner with his wife Jilla Berkman. Each lunch box is prepared with the finest, freshest ingredients sourced direct from many local, organic, sustainable farms as possible, he added. Lunches include a choice of Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich, Albacore Tuna Salad Sandwich, Sprout Sandwich with Avocado and Hummus (vegan), Grilled Vegetable Sandwich or Chicken Curry Sandwich, along with Urth cookies (organic oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip pecan cookies) and a fresh hand-cut seasonal fruit cup. Urth Caffé Beverly Hills, 267 S. Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, online at www.urthcaffe.com, and make donations by calling the café at (310) 205-9311.
5. El Rincon Criollo is still open for take-out and delivery orders and is selling their Cuban specialities and bottles of wine or beer. The restaurant has been following all of the CDC guidelines and adhering to the State and Governor’s mandates to ensure the health and safety of its employees and the public. In addition, the restaurant is partnering with Feed the Frontline providing meals for our Los Angeles Heroes fighting the virus on the frontline by donating food to local hospitals including Kaiser, UCLA Santa Monica, UCLA Reagan, Providence St. Johns, USC and Cedars Sinai. El Rincon Criollo is located at 4361 Sepulveda Blvd. Culver City, (310)391-4478.
6. Locale90 Neapolitan pizza destination, has created DIY pizza kits available for delivery & pick-up. From Monday, April 13th through Sunday, April 19th, the eatery will donate one kit to a Walk With Sally family for every kit purchased. Walk With Sally, is a South Bay based non-profit that helps families among the most vulnerable to COVID-19 as they may have a member who is immunocompromised due to cancer. The eatery’s kit provides all the necessary ingredients, imported from Italy or locally sourced. Neapolitan Pizza kit comes with 4, house-made dough balls, (makes 4 – 12-inch pizzas) crushed San Marzano tomatoes, hand-pulled fresh mozzarella and imported parmesan cheese. Feeds a family of 4-6. Retails for $38 and is available for pickup or delivery.
7. In partnership with global nonprofit World Central Kitchen and big-name chefs have committed to “Help Feed the Frontline LA” in raising money to provide healthy, free meals from local Los Angeles restaurants to healthcare heroes during the COVID-19 crisis. With 17 restaurant partners (and growing!) and 14 donation sites, including 12 hospitals and 2 fire stations, they are providing 11,000 meals this week, and will be up to 14,000 next week!! They’ve also brought apron brand Hedley & Bennett on board, who are manufacturing “Wake Up & Fight” masks, and donating some of their new products to the hospitals in need.
Current participating local Los Angeles restaurants include:
- Playa Provisions, Brooke Williamson; Broken Spanish, Ray Garcia; DAMA, Antonia Lofaso; Scopa Italian Roots, Antonia Lofaso; Meals by Wes Whitsell; Alimento, Zach Polach; Cosa Buona, Zach Polach; Bacari PDR, Lior Hillel; Yours Truly Venice, Vartan Abgaryan; Local Kitchen + Wine Bar, Maire Byrne; Thyme Café; Public School; Marmalade Café; M Café; Local Yolk; Sabra; and Marie Calendars.
Hospitals receiving care meals:
- Adventist Health White Memorial, Cedars-Sinai, Kaiser, USC Keck, Little Company of Mary – Torrance, Little Company of Mary – San Pedro, Martin Luther King Jr. Community, Providence St. Johns, UCLA – Santa Monica, UCLA – Reagan, USC Dept. Emergency Medicine, Verdugo Hills, Lawndale Fire Station and Hawthorne Fire Station.
Help Feed the Frontline LA relies entirely on financial donations in order for the restaurant partners to prepare these meals, and hopes to expand to support additional medical centers around Los Angeles in the coming week and beyond. DONATE funds are being collected through Go Fund Me, All donations are tax deductible, and locals are encouraged to donate at any level. For context: $25 – covers the cost of lunch + dinner for one healthcare hero for the day, $175 – covers the cost of lunch + dinner for one healthcare hero for the week, $500 – covers the cost of lunch + dinner for 20 healthcare heroes for the day and $2500 – covers the cost of lunch + dinner for 100 healthcare heroes for the day.
8. Hospital Donations: Local Dunkin’ franchise owners have proactively scheduled coffee and donut drop-offs to L.A. area hospitals for I.C.U. and E.R. staffs in coordination with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The goal is to bring a smile to those working tirelessly to help keep us healthy and safe. Recent and upcoming drop-offs include: Northridge, CHP West Valley, Kwea Delta in Visalia, Cedars Sinai, Good Samaritan, California Hospital, Tarzana, Hanford, West Hills, and Kaiser Woodland Hills.
9. Krispy Kreme is showing its gratitude for all the tireless healthcare workers starting Monday, March 30 – National Doctors’ Day – and on every subsequent Monday through National Nurses Week (May 6-12), Krispy Kreme will provide all healthcare workers free dozens of our iconic Original Glazed® Doughnuts. Just go to a Krispy Kreme drive-thru and show us your employer badge. That’s it. Pick up some free dozens on the way to work for you and your colleagues, or maybe a free dozen on your way home to family after a long shift. Krispy Kreme “Be Sweet Dozen” is also helping customers share joy with their neighbors, because being separated doesn’t mean we can’t be sweet. On Saturdays beginning March 28, Krispy Kreme will add a free dozen Original Glazed® Doughnuts to every pick-up, drive-thru and delivery order that includes a full price dozen Original Glazed Doughnuts or more. Customers to put a smile on a neighbor’s face by giving them the free dozen. Each free dozen will include a special smiley-face doughnut. The thousands of free dozens on Saturdays will be securely sealed and bagged individually, along with instructions for contactless drop-off, including social distancing and safety guidelines.